Skip to main content

Bunny's Kitchen: Making a Basic Curry

When I'm not gaming, I'm usually in the kitchen testing out a new recipe or tinkering with ones I already know by heart to make them easier and better. I've tormented everyone on Twitter and Facebook with photos of the results, usually ending in requests for the recipe.

Let's be honest, curry isn't always the most photogenic of foods.


If done right, however, it's darn tasty, and the most you'll have to do is some serious chopping. Pictured above is a chicken korma I made this week, but if you master the basic paste that can be used for all varieties of curry, all you have to do is switch up the spices and the meat you use.

Getting Set Up

I use pre-mixed curry spices from Spice Mountain, which is based out of England. If you're on that side of the Atlantic, they have a lovely shop in the Borough Markets, but otherwise, they do ship internationally through their online store!

The recipe I started with was actually also from Spice Mountain, but I made a few tweaks here and there for ease of cooking and availability in the United States. The beauty of this recipe is that it doesn't use roux, meaning that if you use proper substitutes for meat and cream where applicable, it's perfectly suitable for vegetarians and vegans.

Before you start shopping for the paste ingredients, decide what kind of curry you want to make and do some research as to what kind of meats will work best with the flavors. For example, rogan josh works best with lamb or beef. Also determine if the particular curry should be creamy -- korma and tikka masala are best if substituting heavy cream for water. If you're using a dairy-free substitute for the cream, try to avoid coconut milk, as it tends to overpower the rest of the flavors in the dish; especially if you're making korma, cashew or almond milk is really good.

Also, if you plan on doing curries regularly, you may want to invest in a good food processor or blender. I have the Nutri Ninja Professional BL450 and it works wonders for the paste part. Plus, it gives you an excuse to have smoothies and milkshakes whenever you want.

This recipe makes enough for two people to have very generous portions. If you have any remaining, put it in a Tupperware container and store it in the fridge for the next day, then heat it up in the microwave starting with 1 minute 30 seconds on the timer and using an additional 30 seconds as needed. It's still very tasty as leftovers!

Finally, I should note that I'm fairly certain this is more on the British colonial side of curry style versus what you might get in an Indian grandmother's kitchen (note the lack of roux above). It is still really, really delicious in its own right.

Ingredients

  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 large onion
  • 2 garlic cloves (or 1 tsp crushed garlic)
  • 1-inch piece of ginger root (peeled if the skin is very papery, otherwise fine as-is)
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 2 tomatoes
  • 1 cup water or heavy cream, depending on the type of curry you're making
  • 3 tsp curry spices
  • Salt to taste
  • Desired meat or meat substitute

Preparation

  1. Roughly chop the onion and the ginger root and add them to the blender bowl.
  2. Chop the tomatoes as finely as you can, put them in another bowl, and set aside.
  3. Chop up whatever meat or meat substitute you're using into bite-sized chunks and set aside.
  4. Add the garlic to the blender bowl and blitz it until all chunks are gone.
  5. Use non-stick spray on a large sauté pan if it doesn't have a non-stick coating before adding the olive oil; if your pan has the coating, just add the oil straight away and heat it.
  6. VERY CAREFULLY pour in the paste from the blender bowl and fry for 10 minutes -- seriously, go slowly, I've nailed myself and the rest of the kitchen with splashback from this more than once. The texture of the fried paste should be similar to chunky applesauce.
  7. Add the water or cream, spices, tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, salt, and meat or substitute. Stir it all up and simmer it for 10 to 15 minutes to thicken it.

Serving Recommendations

  • Research traditional preparations of the specific type of curry you're making and add nuts, sultanas, vegetables, potatoes, or anything else that might be recommended.
  • Serve over basmati rice.
  • Add a couple of scoops of mango chutney to the side.
  • Serve with papadums or naan. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Beginner's Guide to CPPCon 2017

When we last left our heroine, she was just stating that although she'd be accompanying Ben to Seattle for his talk at CPPCon 2017, she wouldn't be attending the actual conference...

There were a few reasons I didn't intend to go. For one thing, I'm very much a C++ novice, just wading my way through the beginning of my education. I assumed that there would be nothing there for me, and although the conference is quite reasonably priced -- less than $1k for a whole week of content! -- I was unsure as to whether it would be a waste of money for my skill level. Plus, there's that pesky impostor syndrome that sneaks up on me with a less-than-friendly reminder that I'm highly unintelligent and that should I dare darken their doorstep I would be swiftly exposed as the fraud I really am.

Indeed, I had planned a whole week of excursions and exploration in Washington State when Ben invited me to dinner with him and a few colleagues from the conference.

My experience as a…

Dreams are Nebulous Things

As a kid, I was always worried that I never really knew what I wanted to do with my life. I had a ton of interests and a whole pile of things that I thought I'd maybe like to do someday, but if you asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, the answer would change based on the day of the week.

"Working in the game industry" was never an answer until a few years ago. I simply had never thought of it as an option -- probably a product of my growing up in the Dark Ages before programs like Unity and RPG Maker existed -- until a World of Warcraft guildmate who did work in the games industry expressed surprise that I was a 'civilian.' He told me that the way I discussed mechanics and content sounded exactly like the sorts of conversations he'd had with devs at his workplace. (Side note: said guildmate became my stepfather a few years later, because the world is kind of a weird place.)

I loved and, of course, still love video games. I had just gotten laid off fro…

The First Anniversary

This weekend marks one year of many more to come spent with the most incredible man I've ever met. I always wanted to have a cute and clever love story to tell, and I'm ecstatic to say that in him I have found a better tale than any romantic comedy writer could come up with.

My previous marriage was over with the exception of some paperwork to be filed and fees to be paid. I had finally reached a point in my life where I felt I was really better off alone, taking myself on dates to the luxury movie theater, going to my favorite restaurants, spending time with myself doing the things I wanted to do.

One of those things was jumping into the world of programming. Things hadn't worked out with the guy I'd been sort-of-seeing, but to his credit, he made me believe that I was indeed smart enough to learn to code. He'd always mention his boss, Ben Deane, and what a great resource he and his frequent engineering talks were for the novice programmer. "When Ben Deane ta…